University of Ibadan Vacancy for Vice Chancellor
APPOINTMENT OF VICE-CHANCELLOR
The post of the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ibadan, Nigeria, will become vacant by 01 December 2010.
In accordance with the provisions of the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Decree No. 11 of 1993 (as amended by Decree No. 25 of 1996) and by the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Amendment) Act, 2003, the Governing Council of the University of Ibadan wishes to commence the process of filling the vacancy. Interested applicants are, requested to note the following information about the University.
University of Ibadan, Nigeria, Established some 61 years ago, the University of Ibadan, UI as it is fondly referred to, is the first University in Nigeria. Until 1962 when it became a full-fledged independent University, it was a College of the University of London in a special relationship scheme. The University which took off with academic programmes in Arts, Science and Medicine, is now a comprehensive citadel of learning with academic programmes in thirteen Faculties namely, Arts, Science, Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences, Agriculture and Forestry, the Social Sciences, Education, Veterinary Medicine, Pharmacy, Technology, Law, Public Health and Dentistry.
The University’s student population is made up of:
• 1 9 , 5 2 1 Regular Studies Mode
• 12,754 Open/Distance c Learning Mode
There are twelve Halls of Residence which provide accommodation for about half of the population of students in the regular studies mode.
lbadan has a staff population of 4,340 made up of Teaching (1,214) and Non-Teaching Staff (3,126) out of which 609 housing units are occupied by senior staff and 603 units by junior staff. The University of lbadan is, therefore, a truly complex organization. Its ‘governance is based on the Committee System; all the Boards and Committees report to Council and/or Senate. In order to carry out its main functions of teaching, research and community service,• the University has been providing to , a large extent, basic services like electricity and water supply, security, health facilities and other municipal services to its staff and students.
Staff salaries and emoluments ‘currently are in aggregate of about N9, OOO,OOO,OOO.00 (Nine Billion Naira) only per annum.
Through its alumni and alumnae, the University of lbadan has, in the past six decades contributed
Significantly to the political, industrial, economic and cultural development of Nigeria.
The candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor is required to possess a good University education and should be a proven successful manager of human and material resources.
Specifically, the candidate shall be expected to:
• be a highly distinguished scholar of the rank of Professor with the ability to provide academic and administrative leadership for such a well established institution;
• be able to command the respect of the national and international academic communities through his/her track record;
• possess the ability to strengthen the bridges between staff, students, and other members of the University community;
• be a person with a clear vision for the development of the University;
• enjoy excellent physical and mental health;
• possess the drive and ability to attract much needed funds into the University.
Terms and Conditions of Service Applicable To the Post
The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment.
The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellor in all Nigerian Federal Universities and as may be determined from time to time by the Government/Governing Council as appropriate.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
• Each application should be made in 50 copies and be accompanied by 50 copies of the candidate’s curriculum vitae duly signed and dated. The curriculum vitae must contain the candidate’s name in full, age, marital status, educational attainment, nationality, professional and academic achievements.
• Each application should include the names and addresses of three referees. Each referee should be contacted by the applicant to forward, direct to the Registrar, a confidential report on the candidate’s character, academic-and managerial abilities in a properly sealed envelope marked Post of Vice-Chancellor: Referee’s Report at the top left hand corner of the envelope.
• Each application must be accompanied by 50 copies of statement of the candidate’s vision for the University in the twenty first century.
• In the case of candidates identified by the Search Team, the application shall conform to the requirements in (i) and (ii) above, but in addition, a letter of consent duly signed by the candidate shall be presented along with the application.
All applications shall be submitted under confidential cover and addressed to:
Registrar and Secretary to Council
University of Ibadan, Ibadan
The sealed envelope(s) containing the applications or nominations should be marked POST OF VICECHANCELLOR at the top left hand corner and forwarded to reach the Registrar
Application should be submitted before 18th May, 2010.Download Job Alerts App for Android