United Nations Job: Vacancy for Pharmacist – Ikaram, Ondo State, NIGERIA
Location : Ikaram, Ondo State, NIGERIA
Application Deadline :05-Mar-10
Additional Category: Management
Type of Contract :UNV
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected canditate is expected to start)01-Apr-2010
Duration of Initial Contract :One year
Expected Duration of Assignment :One year
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development, and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.
In most cultures volunteerism is deeply embedded in long-established, ancient traditions of sharing and support within the communities. In this context, UNV volunteers take part in various forms of volunteerism and play a role in development and peace together with co-workers, host agencies and local communities.
In all assignments, UNV volunteers promote volunteerism through their action and conduct. Engaging in volunteer activity can effectively and positively enrich their understanding of local and social realities, as well as create a bridge between themselves and the people in their host community. This will make the time they spend as UNV volunteers even more rewarding and productive.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Health Coordinator the UNV volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Operational planning and Monitoring
- Plans, manage, coordinate, and ensure effective running of the drug system in the health sector of the project
- Provide technical backstopping for a smooth running of the e-drug management initiative of the project.
- Organize and implement capacity building programmes for system development to ensure sustainability
- Provide overall leadership for the various professional cadre at the primary health care facility in the area of supervision and monitoring of e-Health component of the project.
- Carry out periodic (monthly or bi-monthly) auditing of the drug management system in the clinics and community (Village Health Workers)
Furthermore, UNV volunteers are encouraged to:
• Strengthening their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and taking active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
• Getting acquainted with and building on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
• Reflecting on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
• Contributing articles/write-ups on field experiences and submitting them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
• Assisting with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UNV volunteers;
• Promoting or advising local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encouraging relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Provision of quality health care delivery in the cluster will positively impact on the health and well-being of the people. Expectedly, this will reflect as improvement in the health statistics of the cluster as will be measured against the baseline findings earlier observed at the onset of the project.
• A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during your assignment such as specific quantification of mobilized volunteers, activities, capacities.
• Have quality research and data management experience;
• Proven ability to lead and motivate people and to have a proactive approach to ensure that systems and information flows are effective;
• A high level of initiative, creativity, and judgement;
• Excellent skills in computer packages (including Excel, Word, and Power Point);
• Must be able to function independently and to exercise discretion and judgment in sensitive and potentially controversial matters.
• Must have excellent organizational skills, be a team player and detail-oriented.
• Good computer and Internet skills.
• Possess a depth of knowledge in the management of common tropical ailments and diseases at the primary health care level
• Demonstrate ability to successfully manage emergency obstetrics care as well as other emergencies at primary care level
• Excellent writing and oral skills in English is a fundamental requirement. Fluency in the local language desirable.
Required Skills and Experience
• A Postgraduate Degree in Pharmacy
• At least one year field experience in drug management system, preferably in a rural or peri-urban setting;
Click here to apply Now
Career Tips:Download Job Alerts App for Android
Employers recruiting for vacancies and careers in Nigeria often require the submission of a CV (Curriculum Vitae) or Resume (Pronounced: RAY-ZIU-MAY) by applicants and graduates. Depending on the type of vacancy, Nigerian employers will ask for either a CV or a Resume irrespective of whether the recruitment is being done online or offline. Therefore to satisfy these employers and increase your chances of getting a good job fast it is advisable as a graduate or applicant to prepare a good CV or Resume and keep in your box to submit anytime there’s a job vacancy for recruitment. Some very good CV tips for applicants and graduates can be found here: http://latestnigerianjobs.com/10-hot-tips-for-writing-a-winning-cv-curriculum-vitae/ The best online recruitment websites in Nigeria are latestnigerianjobs.com , nigerianjobzone.com and nigerianjobhouse.com .