United Nations Job: Vacancy for Coordination Assistant (Port Harcourt)
Location : Port Harcourt, Rivers State, NIGERIA
Type of Contract :UNV
Languages Required :English
Starting Date : (date when the selected canditate is expected to start)01-Apr-2010
Duration of Initial Contract :One year
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.
In most cultures volunteerism is deeply embedded in long-established, ancient traditions of sharing and support within the communities. In this context, UNV volunteers take part in various forms of volunteerism and play a role in development and peace together with co-workers, host agencies and local communities.
In all assignments, UNV volunteers promote volunteerism through their action and conduct. Engaging in volunteer activity can effectively and positively enrich their understanding of local and social realities, as well as create a bridge between themselves and the people in their host community. This will make the time they spend as UNV volunteers even more rewarding and productive.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Special Assistant to the Governor on International Donor Agencies, Rivers State, the UNV volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
• Coordinate and Analyze development Assistance in Rivers State
• Facilitate Rivers State government – donor interaction and constant dialogue through appropriate structures/mechanisms
• Support implementation of donor programmes in Rivers State
• Facilitate a communication strategy to ensure greater dissemination of development assistance to the public
• Prepare and disseminate periodic reports on aggregated and disaggregated external assistance data and provide update on development assistance and related issues
• Set up and coordinate a system for monitoring and evaluation of donor financed programmes
Furthermore, UNV volunteers are usually involved in:
• Strengthening their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and taking active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
• Getting acquainted with and building on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
• Reflecting on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
• Contributing articles/write-ups on field experiences and submitting them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
• Assisting with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UNV volunteers;
• Promoting or advising local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encouraging relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
• Regular report on performance of donor funded activities including strategic partnerships in Rivers State
• Preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation between Rivers State Government and International donor agencies
• A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during your assignment such as specific quantification of mobilized volunteers, activities, capacities.
• Familiarity with activities of Development Partners in Rivers State, Nigeria.
• Familiarity Volunteerism;
• Capacity to deliver the desired output within the specified schedule;
• Excellent command of English.
Required Skills and Experience
• Holders of Bachelor’s Degree in Development Studies, Economics or related subjects.
• Eight years experience in development related work ( exposure to International Donor activities will be an advantage)
Click here to apply Now
Application Deadline : 05-Mar-10
Employers recruiting for vacancies and careers in Nigeria often require the submission of a CV (Curriculum Vitae) or Resume (Pronounced: RAY-ZIU-MAY) by applicants and graduates. Depending on the type of vacancy, Nigerian employers will ask for either a CV or a Resume irrespective of whether the recruitment is being done online or offline. Therefore to satisfy these employers and increase your chances of getting a good job fast it is advisable as a graduate or applicant to prepare a good CV or Resume and keep in your box to submit anytime there’s a job vacancy for recruitment. Some very good CV tips for applicants and graduates can be found here: http://latestnigerianjobs.com/10-hot-tips-for-writing-a-winning-cv-curriculum-vitae/ The best online recruitment websites in Nigeria are latestnigerianjobs.com , nigerianjobzone.com and nigerianjobhouse.com .Download Job Alerts App for Android