UNFPA (United Nations Population Fund) Nigeria NGO Job: Vacancy for Administrative Assistant
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development, is recruiting personnel for the position of:
Job Title: ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
Type of Contract: FIXED TERM APPOINTMENT (FTA)
Post level: ICS 06 (Position presently Classified at (ICS 05, but awaiting approval at ICS 06)
Duty Post: Abuja
Duration: One (1) Year (renewable but subject to satisfactory performance)
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Operations Manager, the Administrative Assistant provides functional administrative support to the operational unit of the Country Office. S/he provides administrative support to the Country Office in the delivery of quality services in Correspondence Management, effective Administrative system and Asset Management, Maintenance of office space and utilities, effective logistics Management to the country office and Effective Store Management.
Results-oriented Functional Statement (focusing on individual contribution, engagement, communities of interest and impact of action)
The Administrative Assistant will:
- Supports interviews and recruitment processes.
- Ensures effective maintenance of the office space and equipment, screens and analyze courier bills for payment.
- Facilitate the planning and management of logistical requirements to support programme monitoring and evaluation, programme observances and enhance UNFPA visibility in the country.
- Facilitates hotel and reservation logistics for the local and international guests, national conferences, meetings and workshops.
- Ensures quality vehicle management and allocation of drivers for daily movements, missions and airport pickups.
- Facilitates store maintenance, stock taking and allocation of stationery for staff and replenishing.
- Maintain and update Data of Vendors Management Portal.
- Maintain and update all country office Asset Management requirements both physically and in ATLAS.
Impact of Result
Support the efforts to operationalize and execute relevant political, social and economic trends and provide substantive administrative and logistical assistance to project formulation and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and national development frameworks in the provision of technical assistance for the delivery of Population and development programs, including increased access to quality of care and sustainable reproductive health services.
Qualification and Experience
Successful candidate must posses a Bachelor’s degree or Higher National Diploma in Secretarial Administration, Public Administration or related field.
A professional experience of 5 to 8 years in public or private sector.
Language and other Requirement:
Fluency in oral and written English language.
proficiency in current office software applications.
Integrity/Commitment to mandate
- Acts in accordance with UN/UNFPA values and holds himself accountable for actions taken. Demonstrates personal commitment to UNFPA’s mandate and to the organizational vision.
Knowledge sharing/Continuous learning
Takes responsibility for personal learning and career development and actively seeks opportunities to learn through formal means. Learns from others inside and outside the organization adopting best practices created by others. Actively produces and disseminates new knowledge.
Demonstrates an international outlook, appreciates differences in values and learns from cultural diversity. Takes actions appropriate to the religious and cultural context and shows respect, tact and consideration for cultural differences. Observes and inquires to understand the perspectives of others and continually examines his own biases and behaviors.
Working in teams:
Works collaboratively with colleagues inside and outside of UNFPA to allow the achievement of common goals and shared objectives. Actively seeks resolution of disagreements and supports the decisions of the team.
Communicating information and ideas:
Delivers oral and written information in a timely, effective and easily understood manner. Participates in meetings and group discussions actively listening and sharing information. Frankly expresses ideas with the intent to resolve issues, considers what others have to say and responds appropriately to criticism.
Conflict and self management:
Manages personal reactions by remaining calm, composed and patient even when under stress or during a crisis and avoids engaging in unproductive conflict. Expresses disagreement in constructive ways that focus on the issue not the person. Tolerates conditions of uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to work productively.
Working with people:
Empowerment/Developing people/Performance management:
Integrates himself/herself into the work unit seeking opportunities to originate action and actively contributing to achieving results with other members of the team. Knows his/her limitations and strength, welcomes constructive criticism and feedback and gives honest and contractive feedback to colleagues and supervisors. Seeks new challenges and assignments and exhibits a desire to learn. Accepts responsibility for personal performance participating in individual work planning and objective setting seeking feedback and acting to continuously improve performance.
Results orientation/Commitment to excellence:
Strives to achieve high personal standard of excellence. Takes action that goes beyond responding to the obvious needs of the situation and persists until successful outcomes are achieved.
Appropriate and transparent decision making:
Makes timely and appropriate decisions taking into consideration various and complex issues and takes responsibility for the impact of decisions. Inquires to understand the perspectives of others and continually examines his/her own biases and behaviors.
- Establishes effective relationships with internal and external clients, actively supports the interests of the client and researches potential solutions to client needs. Organizes and prioritizes work schedule and addresses client needs and deadlines promptly and diplomatically.
Implementing management systems
- Maintains information/databases on system design features and develops system components. Makes recommendations relative to work-processing approaches and procedures which would lead to more efficient systems design.
- Managing Data
- Managing documents, correspondence and reports
- Managing information and workflow
- Planning, organizing and multi-tasking
- Job knowledge
30th October, 2010
Method of Application
All applications should include functional e-mail addresses and mobile phone numbers, letter of application and detailed curriculum vitae (CV), attached as one file in MS WORD format only. Applications should be addressed to
The UNFPA Resident Representative, Abuja and forwarded to e-mail addresses: [email protected] latest by 30 October, 2010 and clearly marked “ADMIN ASST – ICS 05″ in the subject.
Kindly note that only applications sent by email will be accepted.Download Job Alerts App for Android
Please note that UNFPA will respond only to those applicants in whom it has a further interest.