Management Sciences for Health (MSH) Job: NGO Vacancy for Capacity Building AdvisorClosing date: 11 Apr 2010
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) saves lives and improves health, especially among the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people, by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Working from more than 30 country offices and our Arlington, Virginia, and Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, home offices, our staff from 65 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health. We live our mission to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
MSH seeks a Capacity Building Advisor for an upcoming five-year comprehensive malaria program to increase coverage and use of life-saving malaria interventions in support for the Nigeria National Malaria Strategic Plan and the National Malaria Control Program. This new program will implement a comprehensive malaria control activity that will use an integrated approach in program implementation, aligned with international state-of-the-art malaria control and prevention technical standards appropriate to Nigeria.
The Capacity Building Advisor will support the integrated delivery and scale up of proven malaria interventions by developing and implementing training programs across the three Nigerian states to promote artemisinin-based combination therapies (ACTs) as the preferred first-line treatment by public and private sector providers. These programs will focus on upgrading providers’ expertise in a variety of skill areas, including management, leadership, reporting and use of data and supportive supervision. These providers include those working in clinics and pharmacies as well as with patent medicine vendors(PMVs). The advisor will also assist to establish a link between health facilities and communities.
The Capacity Building Advisor will conduct needs assessments; create action plans; and develop mechanisms that reinforce the transfer of learning to the workplace, thereby strengthening capacity for sustainability and expansion of malaria services at community level using ACT as the preferred first-line treatment.. The Advisor will also implement training approaches conducive to scaling up of capacity building such as training of trainers and the Monitoring-Training-Planning (MTP) methodology. The Advisor will collaborate with the Community Care Manager to develop and/or adapt training materials, job aides, and other reference materials, in line with Ministry of Health and MSH’s guidance and quality standards.
1. A Master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience.
2. Minimum of 5 years experience in the areas of training and human capacity development.
3. Several years of experience in capacity building, managing, delivering and evaluating capacity building programs in the health field. Demonstrated experience with adult learning techniques and best practices.
4. Prior experience working with the public sector to increase coverage of malaria treatment a plus
5. Experience working at the state, facility, and community level in program design, institutional capacity building, and training
6. Experience working with USAID or other donor-funded health projects.
7. Demonstrated effective leadership skills; ability in developing effective interpersonal relationships, negotiation, and conflict management.
8. Willingness to travel throughout the three project states in Nigeria.
9. Fluency in English
This position is contingent upon funding. Please note that relocation assistance and allowances are not available.How to apply
To apply for this position, please visit the Employment Opportunities section of our website at https://jobs-msh.icims.com
Reference Code: RW_83FPTL-14Download Job Alerts App for Android