African Journal of Reproductive Health: Vacancy for Managing Editor
The African Journal of Reproductive Health, a well established, peer-reviewed journal with editorial headquarters in Benin City, Nigeria, seeks a Managing Editor for a two-year term, subject to renewal.
In collaboration with the Editor and Assistant Editors, the Managing Editor will provide strategic administrative and marketing leadership to guide the journal to a new phase of growth. Responsibilities include: management of manuscript submissions and review process; publication of print and on-line versions; implementation of a marketing plan; budgetary oversight; and supervision of the editorial process.
The candidate should have at least 5 years of editorial management responsibility of a scientific journal or publication house. A background in reproductive health publications is a strong plus. Strong management and supervisory ability are required.
The position is based in Benin City, Nigeria. Candidates from throughout Africa are encouraged to apply.
* Develop a strategic plan to ensure growth in the quality and quantity of journal publications
* Develop standard operating procedures to guide journal editorial and publication processes and ensure compliance in day-to-day activities
* Develop and implement a marketing plan to increase number of subscribers and heighten the regional and international profile ofthe journal
* Expand the volume of high-quality manuscripts published a in the journal, with broad representation of African and international authors and peer reviewers
* Improve the layout and graphic design ofthe journal format * Ensure high-quality editing of accepted manuscripts
* Upgrade the on-line submission process for manuscripts and the journal web site
* Ensure timely and routine publication of regular and special edition issues
* Supervise a staff of other management, production and marketing staff
* Create and monitor annual budgets and assist the journal’s founder and Editor in fundraising
Other tasks as needed
* At least 5 years of editorial management responsibility of a scientific journal or publication house
* Masters degree in journalism, management or business, social science (anthropology, sociology, economics) or public health
* Familiarity with reproductive health issues, gynecological medicine or public health in Africa
* Strong editorial and writing skills oftechnical publications
* Knowledge of publication lay-out and graphic design
* Experience in marketing and business operations of a journal or publishing house
* Knowledge of internet-based submission processes
* Strong verbal and written communications skills in English; French-language skills a plus
* Ability to use key editorial and publication software packages
* Ability to work responsibly and independently
* Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to supervise and support a diverse team
Please send a resume and cover letter to:
Women’s Health and Action Research Centre at [email protected], copied to [email protected] and [email protected]
Closing date of Application: April 30th, 2010Download Job Alerts App for Android