ActionAid Nigeria Job: NGO Vacancy for Leadership Empowerment, Advocacy & Development (LEAD) Programme Advisor (Sokoto)
POSITION: PROGRAMME ADVISOR
RESPONSIBLE TO: LEAD COORDINATOR
LOCATION: SOKOTO STATE
LINE MANAGEMENT: NONE
To work in communities through community based organisations to strengthen local governance structures, enhance economic literacy and empower communities to participate in the budgetary process.
• Promote just and democratic governance
• Empower community organizations, civil society organisations and Local Government Councils to play active role in the budgetary process
• Provide platform for the building and strengthening of relationships between the community and public institutions
• Increase citizen’s participation in the development, formulation and implementation of the budget
• Increase demand for transparency and accountability to hold local governance to account
• Strengthen the state and local government information system
• Make recommendations to local council policy makers on the effectiveness and efficiency of participatory and right based approach to budget process
• Engage all stakeholders on conflict prevention and mitigation
• Mapping of CSOs engagement and capacity in the budget process in the state
• Baseline survey of media reports on local governance in the state
• Technical capacity assessments and capacity building of local government officials
• Establishment and inauguration of Steering Committee
• Conduct training on Economic Literacy and Budget Accountability for Governance (ELBAG) for CSOs and Local Government Officials
• Conduct specialized training for Local Government Councils
• Facilitate Civil Society/Government Budget Summit
• Conduct training of partners on Media Engagement
• Facilitate participatory budget tracking by Steering Committee to monitor sectoral budgets, such as education, health and agriculture
• Facilitate the development of budget monitoring tools through workshop
• Facilitate quarterly meetings of the Steering Committee
• Facilitate advocacy and community mobilization for policy change
• Facilitate Town Hall meetings at state and local government levels
• Facilitate training of print journalists on ELBAG and reporting
• Facilitate the training of Broadcast/Electronic journalists on ELBAG and reporting
• Organize award for Media reporting on Transparency and accountability
• Organize Editors Summit on Budget
• Conduct quarterly Media Roundtable
• Facilitate public hearing at different levels
• Facilitate meeting with stakeholders in each Local Government for planning
• Facilitate capacity building on Participatory and Vulnerability Analysis (PVA) for conflict prevention and mitigation
• Facilitate visit to Brazil to learn Participatory Budgeting
• Support Local Government Council on Quarterly publication of Budget Digest
• Work with the Coordinator to prepare 3-year and annual budgets
• Ensure judicious use of resources in AAN’s work in relevant states.
• Actively participate in fundraising process in relevant areas of work
REPORTING & ACCOUNTABILITY
• Develop monthly and quarterly work plans to be agreed with by the Coordinator
• Produce reports that will feed into monthly, quarterly, annual and contractual donor reports for the unit.
• Support in the development of strategic documents such as country and programme strategy papers, which chart out the way forward for budget related work in AAN.
• Represent AAN and ensure the maintenance of optimum relations at all levels with Government agencies, Private Organisations, as well as Civil Society Organisations in the states
• Actively take part in the overall policy, programme, procedure and strategy development of AAN in general.
• Assume any other responsibilities relevant to the position as agreed with the line manager
INTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS: Governance Team, Finance team, HR/OD team & AAN team.
EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS: Partners, CSOs and relevant government agencies.
CLICK LINK TO APPLY
Deadline: Not StatedDownload Job Alerts App for Android