This article is 5 years 10 months 16 days
old. It may be outdated.
Location : Abuja, NIGERIA
Application Deadline :
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Sep-2011
Duration of Initial Contract : One Year
A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed between OCHA and ECOWAS on 05 February 2004 with the following objectives: Enhance the response to humanitarian crisis, contribute to the attainment of lasting peace in the region, improve capacity of ECOWAS in humanitarian action and conflict management, better address the needs of the vulnerable populations, alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies, advocate for the rights of people affected by conflict and natural disasters, promote preparedness and prevention and create an enabling environment for sustainable development. The Liaison function will contribute to strengthening the partnership and engagement with the ECOWAS in order to coordinate principled humanitarian response and effectively engage Member States on disaster preparedness and response and other humanitarian issues with regional implications The Humanitarian Affairs Officer / ECOWAS Liaison Officer will work closely with the Department of Humanitarian and Social Affairs of ECOWAS and coordinate with the Humanitarian support Unit (HSU) within the office of the Resident Coordinator for Nigeria
The Humanitarian Affairs Officer / ECOWAS Liaison Officer will report to the OCHA Head of Regional Office (ROWCA).
Duties and Responsibilities
The HAO/ECOWAS Liaison Officer will have the following main functions:
1. Engage dialogue with ECOWAS in her/his role of strengthening preparedness and response and provide support on policy and operational aspects relating to acute poverty, complex emergencies and impact on disasters.
2. Participate and support ECOWAS’ initiatives including the measuring of the impact of natural disasters such as floods in West Africa, follow-up on the setup of ECOWAS’ regional stockpile in Mali aswell as any other initiatives related to humanitarian preparedness and response.
3. Assist in the elaboration of ECOWAS MoUs with regional agencies and institutions on DRR/Preparedness and provide training support to the ECOWAS Emergency Response Team.
4. Assist in the development of short and medium-term strategy, policy, planning and priorities, especially in finalizing ECOWAS’ 3-year humanitarian action plan.
5. Maintain day to day and technical liaison with the humanitarian department of ECOWAS aswell as other key entities within the organization and to provide timely and relevant information to the RC and the ROWCA Head of Office on all urgent and important humanitarian issues with regional implications.
6. Keep abreast of all key developments through regular monitoring and analysis of developments in the member states of ECOWAS and their impact on the humanitarian situation, regional early warning mechanism, development of regional and preparedness in a consistent and well-coordinated manner.
7. Provide regular feedback to ROWCA and use public information and advocacy tools (reports; updates, special bulletins; websites) to keep ECOWAS humanitarian department, the RC and the ROWCA Head of Office, abreast of humanitarian developments and support coordinating plans and resource mobilization efforts for humanitarian activities.
Application Deadline :
Ecowas hot nigeria jobs, finanace assistant in Abuja to expire 13 october 2015, mostrecentjobapplicationbycrsnigeriathisoctober, ngos messenger/driver jobs in abuja 2015, undpnigeriajob