This article is 7 years 11 months 22 days
old. It may be outdated.
Senior Financial Oficer (Ref: CFO/SFO/07/09)
Background: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) with headquarters in Ibadan, Nigeria invites applications for the post of Senior Financial Officer.
IITA is a non-profit organization based in Africa. It works with national entities to increase food production in tropical Africa. We have over 100 international scientists and support staff and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. More information on IITA is available on http://www.iita.org/
The candidate will play a critical role in assisting the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) in strengthening and overseeing fiscal management systems and achieving strategic goals of IITA Finance Office.
Reporting to the CFO of IITA, the candidate will have responsibility for understanding the strategic direction of the organization and providing high-level, proactive financial expertise and direction for both short-term and long-term financial planning and management as follows:
- Advise the CFO on all matters affecting control and implementation of the Institute’s financial management policies and procedures
- Assist the Finance Office in ensuring the Institute’s financial integrity and accountability
- Assist in ensuring that the financial reporting and accounting requirements of donors are met
- Assist in maintaining effective financial control over the Institute’s assets, Investments, liabilities, income, and disbursements.
- Provide strategic guidance and oversight for the formulation and implementation of Finance policies and procedures
- Assist to prepare accurate and timely medium-term financial plan/annual budget
- Monitor financial performance against budget to support the dynamic re-Allocation of resources according to priorities
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational Information to the CFO and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations
- Work with the CFO to craft a long-term strategy for Finance Office by providing advice on issues, trends, and changes in the operating model(s) and operational delivery
- Assist in establishing yearly objectives and work plans for the various workshops in Finance Office
- Advise the CFO on long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with the Institute’s strategic plan, considering limitations and changes in the funding environment, strategic growth opportunities and collaborations with external organisations
- Remain up to date on non-profit audit best practices
Financial and Operational Management
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate accounting principles and regulatory requirements
- Maintain internal control safeguards and ensure timely audit activities
- Optimize the handling of banking relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash positions
- Oversee budgeting and the implementation of budgets so as to monitor progress and present financial metrics both internally and externally
- Provide user friendly management tools that can be used for planning and tracking budgets
- Ensure compliance and maintain oversight for all accounting and operating activities
- In conjunction with the CFO, assist in annual financial audits; review audit materials, and prepare management response to the auditor.
- Conduct monthly financial reviews of program spending.
- Advise CFO on investment of funds; work with banks and other financial institutions.
- Act as Officer-in-Charge during periods of absence of the CFO.
- Mentor and develop finance management teams, providing input on work allocation, training, trouble-shooting, problem and conflict resolution, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
Duty Station: Ibadan, Nigeria
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree in a relevant field—research administration, public administration, and management, preferably an MBA
- Must be a Certified Public Accountant or Chartered Accountant
- Preferably with ten years or more of progressive experience in managing corporate finance, including reporting to senior management
- Experience in a multidisciplinary research organization and cross- cultural environment, preferably in a not-for-profit organization
- Excellent leadership, management, interpersonal, and team building skills
- Ability and proven track record in leadership of small groups; experience as a
- manager of staff, team builder / leader; and ability as a manager of strategic relationships
- Proficiency in at least one major enterprise management system (oracle, sun, platinum SAGE, etc.) and relevant computer applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is essential, including ability to set out coherent presentations and group interactions
General Information: The initial contract is for 2 years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Applications: Applications including curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager. Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/cms/details/job_application.aspx
Closing date: The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted